'Arsenal were in decline under Wenger'- Unai Emery


Arsenal head coach Unai Emery believes Arsenal were in decline towards the end of Arsene Wenger’s 22-year reign and “had to change things”.

The Gunners will resume Premier League action following the international break with a trip to Bournemouth on Sunday, looking to extend a 16-match unbeaten run in all competitions.

Arsenal failed to finish in the top four for the first time under Wenger in his final two campaigns, a situation former Paris Saint-Germain boss Emery believes was down to losing the “defensive structure”.

In an interview with Spanish media outlet Marca, Arsenal head coach Emery said: “I met once with him, and little else. I respect him a lot, but no matter how much info he gave me, I had to change things.

“I told the players: ‘We started at kilometre zero’. Even now, four months later, I still say it: ‘We are in the beginning!’.”

Emery feels Arsenal lost sight of a key aspect during Wenger’s closing seasons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Army Holds Private Burial For 100 Soldiers Killed By Boko Haram

Rep Members Who Will Not Return To The House In 2019 (see List)